Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Invalid Tests Throughout the Centuries

Today was not a very productive day for job searching because of the holiday. I only applied for one job, making my total count 14. But, I feel mentally prepared to apply for jobs tomorrow. After all, Groundhog Day is a time to relax and let Phil do all the work.

I did keep up with my Arabian Nights. It is different than anything I’ve ever read. There is no single author, it is just an assortment of different manuscripts and oral tradition. Luckily I have the dear Richard Burton to translate and lead me through the text with footnotes and commentary.

I was floored when I read his footnote regarding a story on an adulterous wife.
Burton noted that debauched women prefer African men for their "larger parts." This is an evidence-based theory. Apparently in his exploits Burton measured Asian, Arabic and African men so he could compare them. Not only was Burton doing this, he felt no shame and did not hesitate to publish his "findings." Burton lived in a different world. Or did he?

As I fill out applications some require personality tests- the type where you strongly agree or strongly disagree with statements. I was turned away from a cashier job at a sub-par department store because of a personality quiz. What is the secret to not looking like a psychopath on these things? I am certain any of my former employers/professors would say that I'm dependable, honest and get the job done. But no. Some special kind of monster in HR created this exam that purports to reveal to employers how deeply disturbed and unemployable I am. Measuring a human personality with a multiple-choice exam is absurd in my opinion. It’s almost as ridiculous as measuring genitalia in order to make assumptions about a society.

But, these are the things I'm up against as a woman in the 21st century trying to find a job. I still have a lot of fight left, so bring it Bristol Myers Squibb personality assessment.

1 comment:

  1. I think Richard Burton lived in his own alternate reality. Or he was a closet-homosexual, asking men to disrobe as a contribution to "science" or "literature".

    ReplyDelete