I am a messy person, which makes life exciting. There is always something new to be found in my messy desk and shirts I forgot I owned in my overflowing drawers. Maybe messiness is a lifestyle and not a personality flaw.
Yesterday in my messiness I found a letter from 12-year-old Ann. This was the Ann who believed she could go places in life just by being intelligent, kind, and hardworking. Thanks for nothing empty American Dream. Someone really needs to step up and be the John Steinbeck of the 21st century and write a heartbreaking novel about how difficult it is to thrive in America today, even for the most qualified, desiring, deserving people. Now that I put that out there I would like to see such a novel in two years. That should give whoever writes it just enough time.
Back to the letter. Past Ann ended the letter "Keep it real punk." That's one of the trademarks of 12-year-old Ann. She likes to do things she feels are edgy but actually just make her look like a fool ten years later. I wonder what edgy things of today will be tomorrow's folly.
Past Ann would be very disappointed in me. These are the demands of Past Ann.
1. Go to UofI - accomplished, but somewhat disappointing
2.Become a Psychologist- fail
3.Be a Cattle Rancher in my spare time- I've been a vegetarian for almost a year now. I can hear 12-year-old Ann weeping.
4.Get my drivers license- accomplished
5.Not crash a car- Former self, are you taunting me?
6. Not kill myself in said car accident- Accomplished, great news for past, present and future Ann
Past Ann's favorite book was "She Said Yes." Alright, but lacking the literary merit I look for in books today.
Past Ann listened to country music and watched King of the Hill. Present Ann likes to got to wine shops and challenge herself to "out-snob" other patrons.
I've changed a lot. I would not trust former Ann with any major life decisions. I barely trust current Ann. The person I'm banking on is future Ann- she is so together.
My friend Camber enjoys life more than just about anyone I know. I think there are many reasons for this and one is the concept of "Future Camber." Camber always trusts that "future Camber" has things figured out. Current Cambers delightful blog is located at hongkongcamber.blogspot.com
If there is anything that 12-year-old Ann has taught me, it is to trust future Ann.
Keep it real, punks.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks, Ann
ReplyDeleteFuture Camber is helpful--so is singing the Mary Tyler Moore theme song every morning.