Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Golems are the new Vampire

When I'm not trying to find a job I'm trying to come up with the next literary teen sensation, like Harry Potter or Twilight. My first idea is based on the tradition of the Golem. It's this old folklore about people who build a creature(a Golem) out of whatever they can find. Then you put a stone in the belly button of the Golem and it comes to life. The Golem protects its creator, but also gets involved in all sorts of hilarious hi-jinks. This may sound like it would not be marketable to teenagers, but I've got it all figured out. It involves a beautiful, intelligent woman who is also a social outcast. She goes to a Uni High and has access to all sorts of high tech equipment and is able to create a Golem. Instead of a stone in the belly button, it will be a belly-button-piercing that brings the Golem to life. The teens will eat this up. There are still a lot of major plot issues to work on, but it will come to me.

After the Golem sensation has died down I will be fully prepared to hit the teeny boppers with a new book. This one will be based on The Book of One Thousand and One Nights. I have no idea how I will pull this one off yet. I have 1,100 pages left in The Book. This should be plenty of time for everything to become clear to me. The Book is full of creative story structures for me to borrow, and there are no copyright issues.

Today I read about a couple who could not be together because their family forbade it. So the man spent years building an elaborate grave where he can spend eternity with his love since they cannot be together in life. Teens go crazy for that forbidden love stuff. As long as I leave out the part about the couple being brother and sister, the story should work out just fine.

Until I write a hit novel I am going to have to get a real job. Tomorrow is a do or die day with the Madison job. At 1 P.M. I am taking a proctored assessment that will determine whether or not I progress in the recruitment process. I've worked through a GRE review book, read two grammar books and worked through a lot of LSAT logic stuff in preparation. I love a good high-pressure exam. I hope I do well enough not only to move on in the recruitment process, but to impress the recruiters. Maybe all the exams I took in my schooling were preparation for this momentous assessment.

I'm going to get to bed-an important part of the test preparation process. I'll let you know how everything goes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment