Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Machine's Mastery

Nearly everyday I envy some unknowable mass of people. These people find respectable careers immediately after graduation because they have connections. It may sound paranoid, but I have reason to believe these people hold positions of power in government and control most multinational corporations.

The Book of One Thousand and One Nights taught me quite the lesson on envy today. One man envied his neighbor and plotted the envied's destruction. Things backfired and the envied became a king and the envier became a baboon. The possibility of becoming a primate really makes one consider their own nebulous envy. What am I really accomplishing by letting cronyism frustrate me in addition to the stresses of the job hunt?

I feel I am a qualified candidate for all the publishing jobs for which I've applied. I understand they are flooded with applicants and I might not be the best. But there are things I do not, can not, and refuse to understand. I have applied for several positions at a specific publishing house. I decided one day to look at their internship program. The website included information and a photograph, which haunts me. It is a picture of all the summer 2009 interns. Front and center is a woman, scrawny, bleach-blond military style hair-cut, very "anti-establishment" looking. She is TEXTING! I have no fear of being turned into a baboon, because I have crossed from envy to righteous anger. I have applied for so many positions, written so many heartfelt cover letters, and some girl who can't put her cell-phone down for two-minutes gets a publishing internship.

I realize that the game is rigged and not in my favor. I wonder if texting-blondie got the internship through "networking." I have never felt less human than at "networking" events. So much is achieved through human interaction. It's comforting, entertaining, interesting, life-sustaining. But somehow I find myself searching for a job in a world where human interaction has been reduced to its lowest form. Career hopefuls go to network events and meet people solely to use them and further their own career. To me it's horrifying, but it has become the norm.

I can't quite grasp how I feel about all this: envy, the rigged game, networking. I've been writing and re-writing for over and hour and still can't answer my own questions.
What do I do about my envy?
We all know the game is rigged, but what do we do? Stay on the sidelines or get in the game?
How in the world did networking become okay? What does it do to us as humans to have completely self-seeking human interaction become the norm? Am I over-reacting?

I will have lots to write about tomorrow and for weeks to come.

1 comment:

  1. You are not over-reacting.
    I wish to join you on your noble quest against networking.
    If it were economically feasible, we would set up a literary commune. We'd live like nomadic hippies without the drugs. Moving is living. Just ask George Clooney.

    ReplyDelete